The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance’s (CVSA) annual Brake Safety Week is set for September 15-21 2019. Throughout North America, officials will be conducting roadside safety inspections on commercial motor vehicles, with an emphasis on critical brake violations. According to the CVSA, vehicles that pass the inspection without a critical violation will be eligible to receive a CVSA decal.
Recently, the CVSA announced the results from the May 2019 unannounced brake safety initiative. 16.1% of vehicles inspected were placed out of service, citing brake-related critical violations.
Be prepared and make sure you are part of the initiative to improve commercial vehicle, driver and public safety! Here are a few tips to keep you on the road safely:
- Run routine and scheduled preventative maintenance
- Always complete a pre-trip brake inspection to test for leaks
- Check your air systems and for low air signals
- Examine for cracks, leaks and loose ends
- Always have your proper documentation and evidence of brake safety inspection on hand, including:
- Driver’s License
- Authority Number
- Low air warning device
- Current annual DOT inspection